Re: Mazda Rev it Up (Rev A)

To: Sethracer@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mazda Rev it Up (Rev A)
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:23:04 -0800
At 04:23 PM 3/31/2003 -0500, Sethracer@aol.com wrote:

>No, No! - You can get the Mazda 6 with a 5-speed. It's just that maybe
>half the drivers there this weekend wouldn't have known what to do with
>that left pedal.

That's so true!  It was amazing how many poor drivers showed up this
weekend.  I was working at the "Racing Line" practice area, and was
surprised at the number of people who thought that the fast way was to put
the automatic transmission in 1st, and putt all the way around the course
banging off the rev limiter.  Same thing was happening in the Slalom
practice area.  It was so bad that the word came down that after the first
time, the person was supposed to be told to upshift.  If the same driver
persisted in riding the rev limiter all the way around the course, they
would be asked to leave the event for abusing the cars...

The other amazing thing was that on the practice course, we had all the
apexes, turn in points, and exit points marked with big yellow cones and
signs, so all you had to do was scare the yellow cones with the side of the
car, and you'd be on a decent line.  I would go for hours without seeing a
single driver get even within arm's length of any of the yellow cones.

But, on the other hand, lots of people were exposed for the first time to
autocrossing.  It would be a heck of a recruiting tool to have an SCCA
booth at the event...

Jim