Re: ABS; Mini

To: <PHT1@pge.com>
Subject: Re: ABS; Mini
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:27:39 -0800 (PST)
> One response about my crack about brake pads - interpreting the rule
> about "factory specifications" completely and entirely literally, I
> suspect that balsa wood pads would NOT meet Ford's specifications.  :-)
>  But if the rule says "any" pads, what the heck....hobby shop, here I
> come!  Let's find out if those fire extinguishers really work.

Actually you usually need more rearward bias - so tuning with more
aggressive pads in the rear and stock pads in the front can be effective.

> Someone else made the point that I was looking for, I suppose, so here's
> my restatement: "Reasonable" people (IMO) would look at a car whose
> driver beat them, and would choose not to protest the car based on a
> breakdown or wearing out of a component, where that breakdown did not
> give the driver an advantage.

Totally true.  Note that the thread started with the scenario of a driver
deliberately causing ABS failure to create a perceived advantage.  The two
scenarios may be treated differently by fellow competitors; they are
exactly equivalent under the rules.

KeS