Re: Like your wheels, reality check!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Like your wheels, reality check!
From: Don Leitao <dimpala95@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:46:43 -0800
As a former (retired) police officer, I second what Don has written
about a little common sense as it pertains to security of ones
unattended property. Hell, I've had friends loose rims and tires from
Sears Point when we've run there. A minimal investment of about $15.00
for a 10-12 ft length of chain and a padlock does wonders. There are
always light poles or similar that you can chain and lock your wheels
and jack to. If you're worried about marring your rims, just be careful
when you thread the chain through the wheels. Valuables like wallets and
phones should never be left in the open. As has been said, the areas
where the event sites are located are not in the best parts of the
cities. Most have "projects" within walking distance from the event
sites. I know I have personally challenged conspicuous people at a
couple of the events but there were three of us making the challenge,
me, Smith and Wesson  ;-) . However, I don't usually take along my two
friends to these events. Remember, theft is a crime of opportunity so if
you can minimize your exposure you're that much ahead of the game. After
all, nothing is for sure but it sure would look strange seeing someone
with a hacksaw or bolt cutters going at a chained set of wheels. Not
what your common thief wants to do out in the open with lots of people
walking around.

Donald Leitao