Re: Travel time to "big" events...

To: jake@codeworm.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Travel time to "big" events...
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:24:48 -0500
In a message dated 2/14/2003 2:20:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jake@codeworm.com writes:
> So assume some idiot decided driving cross country for> 10 minutes of
>Autocross would be a nice way to spend> his tiny allotment of vacation time. >
>> How many days should that idiot leave on each end of> the event for transit
>time?  Keep in mind the idiot> would be driving a tiny Toyota with no cruise
>control> hauling a trailer covered with tires.
Jake - I made my first trek to Topeka last year. I allowed three days to go
back. Northern route- 1st night (Sat.) Salt Lake City, 2nd night Denver, third
day (Monday) drove into Topeka - Arrived about 4PM. I was towing a Prepared car
behind an Avalanche, by myself. In California, that means slower, (Although the
same goes for you when towing) but Nevada and on I travelled at the same speed
as a car. (Except up some of the grades!) I enjoyed Tues/Wed, ran Thurs/Fri and
got up early Saturday for the two-day drive home (Had to work on Monday). I
picked up a rider (Katie Kelly) for the drive back. That helped to keep me
awake, along with regular rainstorms! I was driving straight through, but I
finally gave in at about Elko, NV. (Why are there three different dotted lines
there on the road?) I pulled over at about 3AM and caught about 3 hours of
sleep. Then drove on to the Bay Area. Home (San Jose) by late afternoon. Your
mileage may vary - in fact I hope your mileage varies! My biggest expense was
my American Express bill for the gasoline. - Ouch! - Seth Emerson