Another Tire Question

To: BRMcapri@webtv.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Tire Question
From: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:13:03 +0100
For some time, I've been thinking about using a smaller diameter tire size
for autox, in order to a) lower the car a tad and b) increase the effective
gear ratio.

However, 3 days ago I received the latest edition of Grassroots Motorsports
Magazine, and there is a letter answered by TireRack pointing out that this
is not a good idea due to load ratings.

In my case, the car weighs 2900 lbs., with me in it. Load rating for stock
tire size is 1370 lbs. Load rating for the tire I'm thinking of is 1200 lbs.
Is this going to be a problem?

Here's another angle -- a Ford Contour SVT uses the same tire size I'm
thinking as stock. That car weighs around 3100 lbs, without driver, IIRC.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Rob