Re: In today's mail

To: john@harlie.idsfa.net
Subject: Re: In today's mail
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2003 23:47:01 -0000
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:47:16 -0800 "John J. Stimson-III"
<john@harlie.idsfa.net> wrote:
>...why are they excluding anyone
>with racing experience?
Maybe to level the playing field knowing there aren't enough (any?) equally
experienced female racers in Europe who would bother with this series?

>Why do they announce that they are filtering
>for charisma and personality?
Maybe because it has become a necessity for any racer (men or women) to inspire
the other team members to extraordinary efforts to pull off a championship.
Have you ever read Ross Bentley's driving books?
Schumacher is the best driver by a little (comare Montoya's car control
skills). He's the best team
builder/leader by a ton.

>Did A.J. Foyt have a great personality?
Absolutely. Who else could get away with sneaking up behind Luyendyk and trying
to slug him in the back of the head during a nationally televised winner's
interview and get away with it? Cosell was a great personality too. Many people
tuned into Monday Night Football in it's early days just to complain about him
on Tuesday morning.

>They want P.R., not skills. They said it in the press release.
Umm, the purpose of a press release is to create P.R,
so I don't read 'em too carefully. Did they actually say they don't want
skills, or is that just another reference to the no experience criteria?

Look, I'm just counter supposing here, which I usually  consider a waste of
time, but with Mazda, BFG, Autosport, and other sponsors behind them, I'll be
shocked if this turns out to be of no better quality than MTV can produce. And,
unless Blundell had developed some sudden desperate financial problems, I can't
see him associating with farce.

I remain cautiously optomistic that this series is not a bad thing to be
dismissed lightly.
Rich

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com