Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver

To: Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:44:04 -0800
On Thursday, Jan 9, 2003, at 17:44 US/Pacific, Ms Katie Kelly wrote:

> That's what this article was about, though, the
> "grain." It just exists. I don't understand why it's
> necessary for some to argue against an article that's
> merely presenting facts as facts. One statistic
> mentioned was that, at least in Britain, 40% of junior
> go-karters are girls, until the teenage years, and
> then it drops to 2%.

Actually it said something different.  It said that 40% of junior kart
license holders are girls, and that "beyond karting the number of
female competitive license holders drops to 2%".

Not knowing anything about British racing, I don't know what that
means, but it seemed odd that they didn't stick with the karting
numbers.  (shrug)  Doesn't seem like enough meat to gnaw on.  For
example, you could get that kind of stat if junior kart licenses were
handed out automatically with driver's training, but virtually none of
the girls ever actually competed at all.  Just not enough info.

That's all I noticed before I was distracted by the reporter's picture.
  ;)

KeS