Re: Sociology

To: James Creasy <james@thevenom.net>, Ms Katie Kelly
Subject: Re: Sociology
From: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:44:40 -0800
In the 60s, which you refer to, when a woman went racing, that attitude was
"atta girl!, go get 'em" kind of thing. It was so rare, women were not a
threat, just as in a neighborhood, when one black family moves in, there is
no problem, and the black family is accepted as a peer (at least in my
neighborhood().
However, when there are lots of women racers, perhaps (some) men get a
little worried about what has been their turf and throw out questions about
femininity (sp?), etc. that exert tremendous pressure on the woman to stop;
just as a neighborhood, where the reaction is, 'there goes the neighborhood'
when more than a few blacks move in.
Sad, isn't it? When all the women racers want to do is have fun, and all the
blacks want to do is live in a decent neighborhood.
Sorry for generalizing.
--Pat K