Re: question about SM2 rules

To: james creasy <james@thevenom.net>
Subject: Re: question about SM2 rules
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:26:27 -0800
On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 05:25:15PM -0800, james creasy wrote:
> i know OSP isnt a national class.  BUT,
>
> is SM2 a national class now?  the site says: "is a new optional Regional
> class beginning in 2002".
>
> so if the San Francisco Regions adopts the SM2 class as an optional regional
> class and OSP is also an SF regional class, then it follows that my car is
> legal for SM2 because our region has expanded the Street Prepared Category
> to include my car.

SM2 is a class that was defined at the National level (it is in the
National Fastrack publications) to try out at regional and National
events to see if it gets enough participation to become an official
national class.  OSP was defined by SFR and is part of the regional
supps.

Since SM2 was defined by the folks at a national level, I am quite
certain that they did not have OSP in mind when they wrote "Street
Prepared".  In the National rules, "Street Prepared" has a specific
meaning, and it is not "all national and region-specific classes with
the words "street prepared" in the name.

If you can find the SFR supps that redefines Street Prepared to
include OSP and clearly states that all references in the National
rules to Street Prepared should use the regional definition, let me
know.  In fact, let the steering committee know.  I doubt that is
their intent...

Maybe you should just ask the regional SM2 competitors if they mind
your running with them.  It would probably be more politic than
starting off right away with lawyering.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94