Re: the future of R-Compounds (was Round 9 - GREAT Event!)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the future of R-Compounds (was Round 9 - GREAT Event!)
From: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
I just bought some Falkens and I'm really impressed.
They offer A LOT of bang for the buck.

As for losing R-Compounds, I think it would be a good
thing for novices running in stock classes (obviously
my point of view is influenced). As a novice
competitor I have to run with street tires yet I get
the same PAX handicap as those running with
R-compounds which makes it very difficult for me to
determine how well I drove on a given day relative to
the regular stock classes, and how I'm progressing
overall.

>From the point of view of a novice running in a stock
class if R-compounds went away I will get some better
data as to how I'm doing relative to more experienced
drivers, and when I leave the novice class I get to
stay on street tires. Let's face it, after I leave the
novice class I'll still be a novice especially
compared to my future D-Stock competition, Lorry
(Lawrence Hindle) and of course Peter Mottaz (whom I
will probably refer to as "that damn Lexus" come the
slush series <hehe> :-). If I do end up staying with
D-stock (STX is most appealing at the moment however
there's hardly anyone competing in that class anymore
aside from Rob Morrisseau now that Barry has the Neon)
I'll probably get R-Compounds just so I know how I'm
doing relative to them, however for learning purposes
I'd probably benefit from staying on street tires for
a while longer. Unfortunately Hoosier would probably
be hit hardest by what seems to be a silly regulation.
Why don't they just regulate the auto manufacturers to
design SUV's which don't roll over when the tires are
inflated to the proper pressure? I think Firestone got
the short end of the stick here. I bet the number of
people (including occupants of the SUV and/or the
occupants of the vehicle that they hit) that SUVs kill
in roll-overs and crashes is extraordinarily
disproportionate to the number of people that have
died as a result of Firestone tires failing (true
failures mind you, not as a result of idiots under
inflating their tires).

Anyhow, those are my random thoughts (rants?) for the
day. Now, time to work on my cycling tan.

Joe

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com