Is it my wheel bearings?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Is it my wheel bearings?
From: "Jeremy Rine" <geratol@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:22:14 +0000
After the last AutoX I was driving home (1.5 hour trip) with all my autoX
junk in the car so things were rattling but then I heard a rapid low pitch
quiet "whomping" coming from the front of the car. I couldn't tell if it was
the grooves in the road or not but it seemed that if I accelerated then let
off the gas quickly it got louder then quieter as the car slowed down. It
kind of sounded like one of the front wheels could have been loose but I
checked them and they were fine. The noise doesn't happen at low speeds,
just on the freeway around 70 and up and it's louder the faster I go.

My car has 20,900 miles and has been through 28 autoX events.

I'm hoping it's just my street tires getting hard and transferring more road
noise through the car but with the National Tour only 3 days away I have
been getting super paranoid about noises that my car makes(Like I'm not
already).

-Jeremy Rine
#12 DSP