Carl's WARNING, was: Today at Laguna Seca...

To: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>,
Subject: Carl's WARNING, was: Today at Laguna Seca...
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:59:46 -0700
Carl writes: (WARNS!)

>It's a miscellaneous no-name casting from a little distributer on the net.
>Time to go with genuine Mitsu (those are 3000GT VR-4 rotors) or Brembo I
>guess, can't have this happening again.  Kinda brings a new meaning to
>"floating rotors" eh?

C4 Corvettes have replaceable front (and rear) bearing hub assemblies. You
can't adjust bearing loosness, you have to buy a new hub assembly when they
get too loose. In addition to having had both the original (first design)
front hub assemblies come apart on my '85 in a manner similar to Carl's
example, I replaced the hubs several other times due to autocross-induced
wear, always with OEM parts.

The car is now in the hands of my Son's nephew up in Eugene. He recently
replaced both front hub assemblies but, not with AC Delco OEM parts. He got
a better deal---for a short time. In street driving, with street tires, one
of the hubs came apart allowing the wheel to (try and) separate from the
car. Tore up the caliper, brake bracket and nice wheel in the process.

Obvious moral: Buy OEM replacement parts. Like in my earlier case, with the
'85, they've found and fixed their problems.

        Don