Re: Educate me on alignment

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: Educate me on alignment
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:07:15 -0700
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 12:44:13PM -0700, Michael R. Clements wrote:
> For example, my car turns in too fast and the steering gets darty at
> freeway speeds. Also it has too much power oversteer. So when I get my
> alignment done next, I'm going to reduce the positive caster up front
> from its current +7 degrees, down to maybe +5 or so. Hopefully that will
> slow down the steering and make it a bit less twitchy.

I thought that caster stabilized the steering by creating a
self-centering force.  I would think that less caster would make the
car more twitchy.  Some Miata drivers who traded off their caster to
get more camber wound up having the steering wheel pull to the inside
of the turn when the course got tight.  That's got to take you by
surprise...

Have you considered a little less toe out (or more toe in) up front?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94