Re: Let's Talk Minis...

To: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Let's Talk Minis...
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:05:36 -0400

Message text written by "Pat Kelly"

"Mark,
Let me warn you, if the Solo Events Board reclassifies your Lotus, they'll
add a 33% weight increase.
--Pat Kelly
"

Yes, indeed. And the SEB won't consider the weight penalty as a weight
penalty.

"We're just deciding how much the car should weigh to be competitive in the
class where we are putting it."   Please, hold you laughter. <G>

Never mind what numbers you read in the previous Solo rule book or the
SCCA's Production Car Spec book.
And especially don't read that section which limits weight penalties to no
more than 15%. If you do read that section you will be come demoralized
with dealing with the SEB and whatever subcommittee you get assigned to.

Complete the above and count your blessings. At least we let you run.

When the SEB makes up its collective mind, they all "speak as one," even if
what they say has the holler guy's personal logic and no one else's. The
net result is that sometimes, when speaking to a Solo Events Board member,
you have to wonder where this person received his mechanical education.

To make sure you understand where I'm coming from, I have spoken to at
least five (5) of the eight  SEB members and that's my personal reaction to
the "party line."
Prejudice shows many forms and "justifications."

--John Kelly