Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:59:56 -0800
On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:42:33AM -0800, Michael R. Clements wrote:
> That would require braking a bit later than you would for RWD. If that's
> what you mean, then I finally understand what "trail braking" is.

Yeah, in my understanding that's what it is.  And it was recommended
to me as a technique for use in a Miata with an oversized front
swaybar, to avoid the understeer created by the bar.

> My experience with power oversteer in RWD is slightly different from
> what you describe. With the RWD cars I've driven, I find that I can feel
> power oversteer before the rear tires start really spinning. That is, as
> I apply the throttle though a turn, I can feel the power oversteer
> helping to rotate the car, before the car actually slides or spins. The
> hard part is controlling it -- that is, riding the razor's edge between
> just enough power oversteer to help rotation, without letting it turn
> into a power slide.

I think the difference in your experience might have to do with the
weight balance of the car.  In a low power car, or one in which the
rear is heavy, it's harder to get the rear tires to induce power
oversteer, so most of the time they will just see understeer under
acceleration.  With a light rear end or a powerful engine, you can
bypass the understeer and go right to power oversteer.

All this stuff is interrelated -- no wonder it's so hard to find a
generalization that applies in all (or even most) cases!

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94