Re: Going around corners (was Going Downhill)

To: jesvilla@gte.net
Subject: Re: Going around corners (was Going Downhill)
From: J C <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:18:57 -0800 (PST)
--- Jesus Villarreal <jesvilla@gte.net> wrote:
<snip>
> If you are within 1.5 to 2.5 seconds from, say a
> nationally competitive driver in the same car, then
> you are doing a pretty good job of driving already.

Perhaps I ought to add a few seconds to that figure!
The fastest WRX in Round 3 was Gino's at 42.148 in
ESP. I believe he's running street tires but the car
is otherwise highly modified. The fastest D-Stock WRX
running R compounds was Lorry (Lawrence) Hindle at
44.855 which would have been 43.720 had he not run
over the same exact cone I ran over at the start. I
was the fastest WRX in novice 6 at 45.746 (coulda
woulda shoulda had a 45.563 had I not abuse that cone
before the timing gates :-). Before Lorry switched
over to R compounds and we were both on RE-92's he'd
usually beat me by 1 to 1.5 seconds. I know there's
gobs of time for me to make up but I want to
pre-deflate my head before it starts getting
big(ger... see thread on hot air ;-), I'm a long ways
off from being close to a nationally competitive
driver. I do think a podium spot or even 1st place is
a realistic goal for this year in novice 6 but I'm
going to have to really pay attention at autocross
school as there's definitely a few drivers in N6 who
are currently better than me.

> Just some fine tuning of your driving skills is all
> you need. The SCCA school will help you fine tune
> your skills, and seat time of course.
>
> Jesus

I think before I start fine tuning I need a better
understanding of this AWD thing and some shaving of
the rough edges. I don't have a lot of basis for
comparison but it certainly seems to require some
specific skills to master. For example, compared to my
last car it requires a lot of anticipation on slaloms
and false apexing on certain corners. On the few
ocassions that I feel like I've done it right it's put
a huge grin on my face but I really need to
concentrate. My fastest runs always involve a little
bit of drift around corners with tires screeching like
mad. With my last car that would have been a horribly
slow run (tire screech used to equal throwing time out
the window but that doesn't seem to be the case with
the WRX).

Joe