RE: WHAT AM I DOING

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>,
Subject: RE: WHAT AM I DOING
From: J C <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:33:30 -0800 (PST)
--- "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com> wrote:
> Joe writes...
>
> >Perhaps we should arrange an SFRSCCA ride.
>
> Absolutely!

Well, I know plenty of "fun" routes on the west side
of the bay but don't know much about the east bay.
Anyone want to go for a ride in Santa Cruz on Saturday
(I have to drop my car off at Subaru SC to get a new
clutch installed)? My range will be limited and the
pace will be slow as I'm still oinking away.

> Our next "lesson" in this cycling clinic is downhill
> cornering. You would think that this would come
> easily for me, but it does not.

Late apexing is a really bad idea on a bicycle!!! :-)
If you want to watch an expert on descending rent some
tapes of the 2001 Tour De France and study Laurent
Jalabert. He simply has AMAZING handling skills. 2 or
3 guys went down last year trying to keep his pace
while descending Stage 7 into Colmar. Armstrong is no
slouch either although he's much more fun to watch
while he's going up (especially when he decides to
attack, he makes it look so easy it's almost funny).
In descending a lot of people will throw around the
term "counter steer". What's meant by this is very
different from the auto-cross definition. Okay... I'm
going to stop before I get started as I could go on
for hours about cycling. I'll hunt you down on Sunday.

If you want to watch an entertaining local race check
out the Cat's Hill Criterium in Los Gatos on Saturday
May 11th!!! You get see lots of hill climbing and
descending skills in that race (as well as a crash or
two :-( ). I plan on checking out the Sea Otter
Classic at Laguna Seca this year (Saturday, March 22nd
I believe). And of course I must do a shameless plug
for my own club... Webcor (Alto Velo) and the
Pescadero Coastal Classic on Saturday June 22nd!!!
http://www.altovelo.org/

Cheers, Joe