Re: Not Looking, was Re: Not Thinking

To: james creasy <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Not Looking, was Re: Not Thinking
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:29:32 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, james creasy wrote:

> this reminds me that the car tends to go where you are looking.
>
> so DONT look at the apex cones, look at the (curved) line next to the apex
> cone that you are going to drive on.

I'll disagree with this, at least personally.  For me, I can't compensate
automatically for drift.  So on, for example, street tires, I have to look
WELL inside the cone, and rely on experience that the car will carry
outside the cones.  On a particular course on street tires in the rain, I
recall deliberately looking almost four FEET inside a particular cone.
Results were perfect and I did extremely well at that event.

Ideally I could look at where I *want* to be and mentally compensate so
that I turn in more/earlier, but the reality for me is that I have to do
it the other way around.

KeS