Re: Not Thinking

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Not Thinking
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:50:40 -0800
"Kelly, Katie" wrote:

> Okay, so what do you think about to not think? :)
>
> I personally don't think about this stuff so much.

I once had this really neat book called "The Zen method
of Tennis" or some such that dealt eloquently
with this stuff but I loaned it to you, and you were
supposed to pass it on to James.

The technique for not thinking is to totally focus
on what you are doing. For tennis the author recommended
looking at the seams on the ball. You can't actually see
them, but within minutes of trying it I found I was no longer
thinking things like, "Shit, I can't get to that," and discovered
my body played tennis a lot better than I did (and never
makes stupid mistakes.)

And yes, James, kibitzing yourself is really, really bad.

I've been practicing this not thinking stuff shooting
baskets (and losing 25 lbs.). When I look at the hoop
and don't think I make about 90% of the shots. When
I think about it, or anything else, I'm lucky to make 50%.

Focus!

Rich Urschel