BOONDOGGLE RULES

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: BOONDOGGLE RULES
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:40:26 -0800
Hello all,

As you know, Round 1 of the SFR Championship Solo II Series, better known as
Boondoggle by the Bay, is upon us, this January 27th at the Oakland Coliseum.
Obviously, this electronic missive is not going to reach all of the masses,
and I failed to send this to the Wheel, so I'm asking each and every one of
you to pass on this information to anyone you know of who's attending the
Boondoggle. Much of this will also be covered at the driver's meeting, as well
as key safety issues.

I'm anticipating a record breaking crowd. While that's thrilling and certainly
boosts my ego, we're stuck with some painful realities. Painful reality number
one is that we will have minimal daylight. Getting everyone their three runs
is going to be a challenge unless we all work together on this.

Three ingredients to a successful Boondoggle:

1) Seemless, on-the-fly changeovers. We have minimal margin for error. That
means, when your work group is called on the PA, show up IMMEDIATELY. Yes, you
will start working earlier than maybe what you're used to, but odds are,
you'll be finished working early as well.

2) Early tech. It is your responsibility to get your car teched BEFORE you put
it on grid. We will have teams working tech in a designated area until one
o'clock. When group 5 is running, and you're in group 6, you BETTER get your
car on grid, with your card completely filled out, so we can get the cards
delivered to the trailer, asap. We have NO TIME to screw around teching cars.
It's YOUR job, so take care of it.

3) Minimizing reruns. This requires full communication between the starter and
the trailer. Sometimes, starters can't hear and we get cars sent out when we
shouldn't have cars out there. So, please, if you're working the start, or if
you're in the trailer PLEASE make sure you can communicate with eachother, and
make sure you're in communication BEFORE you send out any cars.

And now, for this last request, this is where things get fuzzy. I know we all
like pushing the limits of our cars, that's why we're all here. And goodness
knows, I certainly appreciate a good spin. However, if you spin out, and we
have to red flag all the cars behind you, you just held up the event.

So, while on the one hand, I want us all to have fun and to push our personal
bounderies, but, and especially if you're brand new, and you're not sure where
the course goes and you're a little uneasy about what your car can do, please
take it easy a little bit. Don't get in over your head. Stay under control so
you really learn where the course goes, and then on the next run, push it a
little bit more.

I will definitely bring this up at the meeting, and I will also say if I see
people out there screwing around holding up the event, and this is not easy
for me to type, said individuals will have to deal with ME doing my best John
Kelly impersonation. You don't want that. I don't want that, because I don't
even know if I know how. But don't make me find out.

That being said, this could be the most successful Boondoggle ever. There is a
high probability that this could be the largest regional autocross of all
time, in the nation, but if it's going to work, we all need to work together
on this. Because this is about more than just getting 300+ people through.
This is about giving 300+ people a GOOD TIME. We can do it.

Thanks to all those who've volunteered to work the early bird group, and to
those who've volunteered to help out through out the day. Boondoggle Bucks to
all of you!

Katie Kelly, co-Boondoggle Boss