Re: The undocumented intent of SFR Supp Rule #15

To: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: The undocumented intent of SFR Supp Rule #15
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:05:23 -0800
On Sunday, January 20, 2002, at 06:27 , Rich Urschel wrote:

> Donald R McKenna wrote:
>
>>  This kind of behavior, although allowable, is not in the
>> intended spirit of rule #15 and, in my opinion, should be discouraged.
>> Most
>> of us, despite our competitive natures, do this sport for fun and
>> enjoy the
>> comradery we share with our fellow competitors. Therefore, when a
>> fellow
>> competitor "takes advantage" (my words) of the intent of this rule,
>> the only
>> thing he/she risks is being ostracized by fellow competitors ---
>
> And the reason the SC doesn't rewrite the rule to
> state the "real" intent instead of various members
> threatening to eliminate the rule if abused, and
> soliciting ostracization of those "taking advantage"
> is what?
>
> Rich Urschel

I'm very sure, Rich, that you're familiar with the voting process for
rule changes, and so are cognizant that no single SC member could
eliminate a rule.  Also, Don above didn't solicit ostracism; he
mentioned a potential risk.

That brush cleared away, the answer to the remainder of your question is
that it wasn't found possible.  It's difficult enough to draft a rule
that is applicable, enforceable, and without unintended consequence.
Asking it to bear the burden of universal popularity and force of public
conscience is a bit much.  As a practical matter, I oppose the
integration of "intent" or "spirit" into any rule process; it has zero
functional effect upon the policy and only serves to muddle the
interpretation.

If I read the rules correctly for San Diego events, which is extremely
unlikely, I can ride with others, but only after my official runs AND
their's are complete, and not if they are in the Novice class, in which
case they can have only an official instructor, who among other
credentials must have been competing AS a member of one of the local
clubs (in addition to SCCA) for more than a year.

If you think that degree of complexity makes for a better rule, or
easier enforcement, or less overall angst, I'll be happy to send you my
2001 rulebook so you can propose a similar one for SFR.

KeS