Brake Fluid

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Fluid
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:10:24 -0800
>Can DOT4 be used in a system that calls for DOT3?

Yes, in fact it'd be recommended.   DOT4 can freely mix with DOT3.

>If so, is there any benefit (or drawback) to using DOT4 over DOT3?

Yes.   Higher boiling points.   No drawback other than a slightly higher
price.

>Are the two miscible, or must entire system be flushed before switching
>from one to the other?

No.

For more than you probably wanted to know, read this article by my friend
Dave Zeckhausen on brake fluid.    Good info in here :

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

BTW, I also highly recommend the ATE Super Blue and ATE Typ2000 (Super Blue
is in my car as I type this).    Great stuff, and affordable.    Should run
about $10-12/liter (you MIGHT be able to bleed your car on one liter, but
get 2 to be safe) at good-priced speed shops and such.    Many places that
cater to BMWs carry it.    I mail-ordered my last batch, but then I go thru
a lotta brake fluid :^).

With the 2 colors, the idea is that you use Blue on one flush and Typ2000
(amber) on the next.....makes it very easy to tell when you've gotten all of
the old fluid out of the system.

Ed Runnion       Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
96 Chevy Impala SS, good brakes :^)