MUCH happier tires!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: MUCH happier tires!
From: "Jake Hodges" <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:40:32 +0000
Happier tires, and comparable times as well.  Thanks to everyone that helped
me with front wheel drive driving style on this list and at the event.  I
actually got two reasonable runs in going slow into corners and unwinding
the steering to keep the tires on the ground before my excitement got the
better of me.  A ride in a certain Galactic Space Cruiser-sized Volvo
(that's always faster than I am) was instrumental in getting the whole
unwinding thing.  Don't let my friends know I said this, but that car was
FUN!

Having stopped frantically plowing out of corners wide-eyed with rage at the
poor little cones for those first two runs had another unanticipated
benefit.  As I was unwinding the wheel out of the second right turn before
the crossover, my front tires glued to the ground like I knew in my heart
they had it in them to be, an amazing thing happened.  I saw cones.  Not
just a cone followed by another cone, followed by another cone.  I saw MORE
than one cone at a time!  It was like that scene at the end of "The Matrix".
  I got to that jog in the straight, put my right foot out and said, "No."
The corner fell behind me with the car pointed in the right direction.
Looking up is good..

My tires showed no significant change in wear today.  Looks like I may make
it to the end of the season yet!

I usually keep my big, dumb mouth shut about such things, but I'll make an
exception this time.  The course was a joy!  Everything was clear, there
were some very challenging sections, and nothing too terrifyingly fast.  The
event seemed to go very smoothly too.  To the event chairs I have but a
single request.  Do away with Daylight Savings Time!

Thanks again to everyone.  Next week I'm going to work on "slow in, fast
out".  And I think the next week will be "slow in, fast out".

Jake