Tire mounting costs (was: Poor, poor tires..)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire mounting costs (was: Poor, poor tires..)
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:21:34 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Darren Madams wrote:
> 3. If you do have tires that can be flipped on the rims (not just
> rotated front to rear), you can get quite a bit of extra life out of
> them... but the cost of unmount/mount adds up.  And you'll be left
> with a high point of tread in the middle.

That reminds me...

What's a normal cost to mount and balance tires out here?  Motorsport
Techniques charged me $80 to mount and balance four tires (gave 'em the
car & tires).  That certainly seemed pretty high to me, but I've got a
tire machine back home and haven't paid to have tires mounted in recent
memory.

Is that normal?  I mean, it only takes an hour for a schmuck like me to do
a complete mount & balance, including torqueing the wheels, setting air
pressure, etc!  The guys that really know how to run the tire machines are
quite a bit quicker...

Mark