Re: Poor, poor tires..

To: "Jake Hodges" <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Poor, poor tires..
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:13:25 -0700
Jake,

This sounds pretty familiar ; -)

It's "novice driver wear".  It's caused by "fast in, slow out"
driving.  "Fast in" means overdriving the tires in the turn,
and having to scrub off all the speed to give you the "slow out"
result.  I did this for several years!

I'm sure you have been told "slow in, fast out" plenty of times,
I know I was.  But until I finally started really braking enough
in a straight line so that I could turn in tighter at the beginning
of the turn, get on the gas early, and unwind the wheel out
of the turn, I went through tires by the bucket!  Even if you're
as dumb as me, you'll eventually get out of it.  Expect to
pay a lot for tires!

Or, try to slow down a whole lot more.  It's
not the speed in corners that matters, it's the speed in straights, and
getting control and acceleration through the longest possible
period will make you faster.  Getting an additional 2 mph through
the curve, actually TRYING to get those mph, plowing through the turn,
not being in good control at the apex, and not getting on the gas till
you're out on the straight, well that's going to lose you lots of time,
and wear those tires really fast!

If you are not down to the cords, and still not down to the wear
bars in the grooves, they should be OK.  Some tires are OK to
flip inside out, some are only limited to one direction by tread design.
You should check with Tire Rack or Yokohama, or maybe somebody
who knows those tires will answer, too.

I dunno about that "autocross".

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!