Re: "closed deck" vs. "open deck"?

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "closed deck" vs. "open deck"?
From: "Jerry Brown" <jerbrown@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 15:16:28 -0700
A closed deck block design has a solid surface surrounding the tops of the
cylinder bores, something like a table-top with holes. In an open deck
design, the cylinders look more like free-standing tubes.

In the Chevy heads, the closed chamber design had much smaller combustion
chambers, leading to valve shrouding (and power loss). The open chamber
heads opened the combustion chamber up around the valves (the piston top was
enlarged to compensate for compression loss).

HTH,
-jerry