No two lap SFR events!

To: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>,
Subject: No two lap SFR events!
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:05:40 -0800
Horrors!

A two lap course would be a potential disaster with even a 200 turn-out.
Even if each lap were only 30 seconds and workers could respond to only a 15
second gap between the car on second lap and the next car, the interval
would be 45 seconds. A perfect event, with no re-runs and not counting
change-overs and a walk-through would take 600 runs @ 45 seconds, or 7.5
hours run-time. Add in a minimum of an hour for change-overs and a
walk-through and you start at 9:00AM and finish at 5:30PM. Increase the lap
length to 35 seconds and use a safer 20 seconds separation between cars and
the resultant 55 second start interval finishes those 200 entrants, with an
optimistic one hour for change-over/walk-through, at about 8PM. Through in a
larger entry, a later start, some red flags, a timer problem---- and I think
the message is obvious.

No two lap SFR events!

        Don