RE: Seven Year Itch

To: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>,
Subject: RE: Seven Year Itch
From: Rex Tener <rex_tener@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:42:30 -0800
At 11:02 AM 3/15/2001 -0800, Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto} wrote:
>If you were wondering why no one has suggested the M3 as a competitive AS
>car, that is a good question.  It clearly has, as you pointed out, the best
>motor in AS.  Tons of torque and 240hp are a good thing.  However, compared
>to the Boxster/S2000/MR2, it is rather heavy, has a long wheelbase, and the
>weight is all out on the ends of the car.

Hi Peter,

That is a great analysis of the E36 M3.  The motor is fantastic, but the
combination of the extra weight, wheelbase, and the location of the weight
make it much less nimble than the Boxster/S2000/MR2.

>That's all speculation though.  Someone like Rex Tener might have more
>accurate thoughts on this.  And having said that, I'm confident that Rex
>could come and whip my butt in his M3 any day.

The car's low speed handling is what kills it in stock.  On higher speed,
more open AAS courses the car feels fantastic.  My best placing at
nationals in the M3 was the first year I took it there.

<http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/98nationals/stock1.html>

 From that point on the class keeps getting more talent and faster
cars.  Even with Hoosiers and Koni DA's I was overwhelmed by the faster
talent and cars last year.

>My advice is to come to more of our events, get more experience, and enjoy
>this wonderful car that you have.
>Don't let anyone tell you that it's not competitive or that you need to mod
>it until you can't drive it on the street anymore.  If you like your car,
>that's all that matters.  Enjoy it!

Absolutely!  Mine has always been a daily driver and now that it has a
street alignment, Bilstein shocks, and brand new S02 PP tires, it is
wonderfully refined on the street.

Have Fun!

--
Rex Tener