Solo2 Voluntary License Application?

To: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Solo2 Voluntary License Application?
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:08:59 -0500

Message text written by Darren Madams

" I just got my membership renewal... it included (along with my ProSolo
license renewal) a form titled RoadRally / Solo II Voluntary License
Application.  The fee is $20.

Does anyone know what this is or what this gets you?  I assume it's
the extra insurance, but don't you get that from checking the "Crew"
box on the regular license application?

I don't see anything like it listed on the regular membership application
and I couldn't find anything listed on the SCCA website.

I'm confuzed..."

The confusion is intentional. The deal was put in place by former SCCA
President Nick Craw for the purpose of extracting a license fee from SCCA's
autocrossers. Every Solo Events Board since Day 1 has been OPPOSED to
REQUIRED licensing of Solo II drivers. Each of those SEBs over the years
agrees your state driver's license is sufficient.

        Checking the CREW box on your member Application "buys" the highest
level of insurance coverage.
        (This relates to an interesting aspect of SCCA's insurance Master
Plan. Sometimes this is called "Legal Fiction." The insurance company is
willing to offer its highest level of insurance coverage to licensed SCCA
members. This makes the assumption you had some training to acquire said
license. That all you did was check the Crew box also meets the
requirement. Cheaper, too.)

--John Kelly