More Rookie Questions...

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Rookie Questions...
From: "Mike Eynon" <stingray@onth.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:15:25 -0800
Thanks to all those who have offered up good advice and options.  I have a
couple more questions...

First, this event on Sunday... All I see listed is "Fire and safety school"
on the website.  Is this the event that everyone is heading up to?  Would
this be a good event to show up un-registered and meet people?  In other
words, can I *crash* the event...?  Bad form.  I know.

Next... equipment questions:
SHOES   -       I have been heel-and-toe'ing for years, but I have never owned
a car
where the pedals were really setup to do this, so I always have done is
backwards (heel to gas, toe to brake).  The M3 seems to have pedals placed
specifically with heel-and-toe in mind, which means that its very difficult
to do it backwards... hence I am now forcing myself to do it the right way.
The problem is that doing it the right way requires a lot more
sensitivity... and tennis shoes no longer cut it.

I have gone out to the web and or course found Simpson shoes, but no other
brand.  I am guessing these are fine, but thought I would ask before
ordering.  What do people recommend for a size 11 foot and an M3?  Are there
bennies to a high-top over a low-top?

NUMBERS -       I was gonna head out to get a set of magnetic numbers for my
doors, but then thought about the obvious question... Will I be assigned a
number, or can I just pick one?

HELMETS -       It seems that you can spend anywhere from ~$100 all the way up
~$800 for a helmet.  What makes one helmet better than another?  Is the
nomax lining worth getting?  Open face, or shielded?

FUEL -  How important is this?  When I used to drag race midyear Corvettes,
this was a big deal... There is a huge difference between 87 pump octane,
and 111 airplane fuel in an old Chevy small-block.  But... I am guessing
that the M3 has some knock sensor in it that will get screwed up if I pump
too high an octane through it.  My guess is that I should be sticking with
92 pump octane, but thought I would ask to see what y'all know.

SHOP MANUAL -   I thought this was taken care of, but it seems that the person
I talked with at the Steven's Creek BMW service department really didn't
know what the heck I was talking about, so it didn't get ordered.  I would
have thought that he had seen this request before.  Where should I be
getting one of these?  The verbage on the SFSCCA website is a little
ambiguous... do I really need one of these on hand before I can race?

// Mike Eynon
// Chief Technology Officer
// OnTh Wireless
// "The Wireless Database Company"