Re: super chips?

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Subject: Re: super chips?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:47:54 -0700
Thanks, I'm beginning to get skeptical about this whole chip
thing. They say they optimize it for 92 octane gas, but the stock
engine already requires 92 octane. I'm still wondering what Ford
did to increase hp to 320 in the 1999 model engine; previous
models were "only" 305 hp.

Maybe the newer Ford engines really weren't 320 hp. I remember
reading somewhere that Ford took some flack for publishing
unrealistic hp numbers. Indeed, this shows up in the NHTSA
database as TSB # 99B27. But on Corral.net they are measuring
280-290 hp at the rear wheel on stock Cobras, which seems to be
consistent with a 320 hp engine.

I also noticed that Ford isn't making the Cobra any more. Anyone
know why?

Maybe it doesn't really matter because all of this makes about a
5% difference which isn't noticeable, and the car isn't exactly
underpowered as it stands.