Colorado National tour and road report

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Colorado National tour and road report
From: Patrick Jones <axng4me@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
Well, back from a 3000 mile roundtrip to what has to be the second most
beautiful autocross site in the country next to GGF - Pikes Peak
International Raceway.  Just gorgeous!

I got my clocked cleaned in DS as I came in 7th out of 8th at the end.
Watching Aaron Miller from Michigan run was a lesson I will not soon
forget.  I'm sure he will do well at nationals.  BTW, there's a new
Ford ZRX in DS that turned some good times.  Also, working course and
watching Bob Tunnel power his 325i around in ESP was a real treat.  He
beat up his class with his wife in second.  I talked with Howard on
classing the Elise and he said he is working on it.  We'll see.

For all you heading to Nationals, here is some road news (this section
got lengthy).

I took 80 all the way out to Cheyenne and then south on 25 to Colorado
Springs.  On the way home I took 70 west out of Denver to 6/191 in Utah
up to 15 North to Salt Lake and then 80 west again home.  Besides
getting to Kansas, this is a similar route alot of you will take.
Let's see:

80 East was in good shape all the way.  Lots of road construction in
Nevada, but it was easy to get through and I think they are about done
in many areas.  I was only stopped by a flag person once (down cones I
think :-)  80 through Salt Lake is **CLOSED**  There is a detour sign
to 215 South around the city and then you must get back on 15 North on
the east side of Salt Lake to hook up with 80 East again.  This is
about a 30+ mile detour and it is not marked well at all.  Watch for
this.  You can stay on 215 that rings Salt Lake and eventually hooks
back up with 80.  The rest of Utah was fine and Wyoming had very little
construction, but it was also the worst part of 80 East.  I25 South to
Denver was wide open with no problems.

Coming West I took 70 and went over the big hills.  I used to live in
Colorado and had to see the real mountains again.  Eisenhower tunnel is
always a treat and my kids loved running through 2.3 miles of mountain.
 The eastern slope is steep but much shorter then the western slope.
Be smart and go slow in a low gear all the way down.  Save your brakes
or you *will* ruin them before you get to the Keystone turnoff.
Colorado construction zones on 70 were well spaced out, but a bit tight
with narrow lanes in some areas.  They may ramp this work up to be done
before the snow flys.  Coming out of the Rockies you hit Glenwood
Canyon and then on into Utah and Moab.  These are two of my favorite
places.  Glenwood Canyon on I70 is awe-inspiring.  Even my 6 year old
autistic son said "Oohhh".  Moab - if you have time drive the 15 miles
south and go see the red rocks where four-wheelers and mountain bikers
call Nirvana.  This section of Utah is fantastic but I was in for a
real treat.  Heading west on 70 I decided to take Utah State Route
6/191 up to I15.  This is a two and four lane state highway that is in
better shape than most Interstates.  It only runs through a few towns
and one Sheriff.  The canyons this road takes you through, the easy
climbs and long - long downhills is all worth it.  A very easy and
gorgeous road that I recommend you drive at least once for sure.

Back through the mess in Salt Lake and west on 80 through Utah and
Nevada.  There was less construction in Nevada going west than east and
the road was in excellent shape.  Into Reno, get gas nad head home.
California I80 west bound.  Two things:

The Rockies are pretty, but the Sierras kick-ass!
The worst part of 80 is west bound past the Agriculture Station all the
way down to Auburn.  There is quite a bit of work going on up there now
and the road is in bad shape.  Take care driving here.

Lessons learned:

The new 3/4 ton Chev with the 6.0 litre engine can out pull a V10 Dodge
in the mountains any day.  This is a great truck.

The speed limit is 75 in all states.  I pulled my trailer at 75 but not
over that in the flats.  Check your trailer tires and make sure they
are OK for high speeds.  We don't usually go that fast around here.

Higway Patrols were pretty sparse.  Wyoming had the most with a couple
people pulled over in Utah on the way home.

Carefull with your brakes and transmissions in Colorado.  If you use
brakes on the long downhills, you will lose them - on your truck and
trailer.  I didn't, but saw many RVs and others who did.  This is not a
fun roadside repair.

All the best.

patrick