RE: report from Europe

To: "'Anthony Tabacco'" <atabacco@california.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: report from Europe
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@Roche.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:55:17 -0700
        Tony wrote...
        ... Most impressive though, was the Smart. check out their site;
This is a perfectly
> adapted urban "designed object". Wish I could import one.

        Yeah, I rented a Smart when I was in Munich this past March.  I
figured I might as well try something that I'd never be able to drive in the
States.  It was really hard to reserve one from here, because all the Avis
reps refuse to admit that the car class the Smart is in even exists.  Having
gone through all the trouble though, I'd have to say I highly recommend the
experience to anyone travelling to Europe.

        For anyone who doesn't know about the Smart, it's a small city car
made by MCC, originally a joint venture between Daimler Benz and Swatch
(yes, *that* Swatch).  It's about as long as a normal car is wide, and so
can be parallel parked head in.  It weighs about 1500lbs I think, and is