Re: Corvette Z06

To: Perry Kincy <kincy@ccnet.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Corvette Z06
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 14:54:42 -0700
Perry Kincy writes regarding the Z06:

>The first one has arrived at Crown.  White.   List is 47,655.  Dealer
>Pack is $20 large.   Only $67,655 gets you in to (hopefully) the SS ride
>of  01.

You say "(hopefully) the SS ride of  01".

I'm looking forward to some version of the new stock class restructuring
proposal to be in place effective for '01. Although it may not have much
effect on some local activities, the inclusion of the Z06 in the current SS
class will certainly, at National events, negatively effect the
participation of C4 and regular C5 Corvettes.

My feeling about the new class proposal, as it splits the current SS class
and brings some of the SP class "exiled" cars back into the stock catagory,
is that it's generally a good idea. However, in my opinion, the first cut,
as published in the fast track section of the August '00 Sports Car, would,
likely, reduce the participation of non-Z06 C5s since all C5s are lumped in
the proposed "Stock 1" class.

I think, if non-Z06 C5s (as well as ZR1s) were placed in the proposed Stock
2 class, the total participation in both the new class 1 and class 2 would
increase noticeably compared with the current total participation from both
the SS class and the "exiled" cars. You know, can a Viper really compete
with a well prepared Lotus Elan in ASP on most SOLO 2 courses? I think a lot
more Vipers will come out nationally if they are classed in a competitive
stock class.

Since the Z06 has a big leg-up on other C5s it would probably be very
competitive, if not THE car to have, in the proposed Stock 1 class.

BTW, in conversation with Howard Duncan, at last weekend's Bremerton Tour,
he said he had expressed similar sentiments, to the SEB about classification
of C5s. His analogous comparison was the separation of Neons with ACRs in DS
and other Neons in ES.

While commenting on Bremerton, for those who haven't followed the results,
the class SS winning car (by a small margine of .015 sec.) was a '99 Ferarri
360 Modena. The car seemed to be well prepared and was driven by a very good
driver. However, on a more open course that car would probably bury to rest
of the class including the very well driven '89 C4 that finished in 2nd
place. The proposed Stock 1 class is probably a more equitable place for
that kind of "exotic".

>Mine has a build date of Monday.  Will arrive Mid Sept hopefully.
>(Hopefully my contract is somewhat cheaper than the $20,000
>over<smiley>).

Looking forward to seeing you bring it out, no matter what class.

        Don