RE: Vocabulary Question

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, "'Alan Gruner'" <algruner@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Vocabulary Question
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@liquidaudio.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:05:10 -0700
At 01:39 PM 8/4/00 -0700, Kelly, Katie wrote:
>That's a really good question, and I hope Jim can answer. The best
>anthropological answer I can give is that dirt is the descendent of what
>were once very large rocks.
>
>Jim, is there anything you can add to this?

Once upon a time when the world was first created, it was a nice smooth
sphere and everything was shiny and clean.  Unfortunately, it was so shiny
and smooth that the inhabitants had trouble staying on it without slipping
off.  So, gravity was invented.  However, it wasn't quite enough - every
once in a while, the world would lurch, and people would still end up
floating in the Void. Since smaller people were less likely to fall off the
world, natural selection took place, and people started to get smaller and
smaller.  At the same time, one of the people (probably a small young
punk...) kicked a divot into the surface to give himself a little better
grip.  Pretty soon, everyone was doing it, showering the surface with lots
and lots of rock chips, which soon got ground into dust.  As people got
smaller, the divots that the original people kicked into the surface became
the land marks that we all recognize as mountains, canyons, etc.  Also, as
people got smaller, they continually ground the chips that were on the
surface into smaller and smaller pieces.

And that's how dirt was invented.

Jim "I'm sticking to this story until someone proves me wrong" Ochi
jochi@liquidaudio.com