Re: Plugging Tires

To: nokones@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Plugging Tires
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:10:26 -0700
I'm not an expert, but I've read that you shouldn't just plug a speed
  rated tire if you expect to ever use it at speed, like at a track
  event, or the way some of you drive on the freeway.:)

The problem with plugging is that you don't check to see if there was
  damage inside the tire. Apparently somethign that makes a minor
  looking puncture from the outside can do more damage to the cords
  and cause problems with the strength of the tire, resulting in a
  possible blowout at high speed.

If you take the tire off to do a proper vulcanized patch, you also can
  see if there is any internal damage.

I got a puncture in my almost brand new T1-S's about a week before a
  two-day school at Thunderhill last March and made darn sure that
  they did a proper inspection and patch job.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA