Re: 8 CONE SLALOM

To: "Benjamin R. Martinez" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:44:17 -0400

Message text written by "Benjamin R. Martinez"

"
John - So John do you detest an optional slalom because of the workers or
that
you just don't like them, i hope that's the hole ideal about having any
SCCA
members ONLY! so that we have good workers core out there."

Three reasons for detesting optional slaloms:
        1) I hate to look stupid for taking the wrong direction.
                a) I think the game should be about DRIVING not course
following. If I wanted a course-following challenge I'd be into rallying.
                b) Taking course following to the extreme--which the rally
people did with the development of TRAP rallies --they lose a lot of
contestants who NEVER return. This is not the way to develop a program when
people don't come back.
        2) I don't think anybody else likes to look stupid either.
        3) Course workers, members or not, are not always on top of
following a car through a slalom and sometimes miss the fact a driver
missed part of the course. In another life as an event chair I had to deal
with a number of problems with one driver complaining about their
competitor taking a short cut and thus beating them.

        Thus I'm in favor of slaloms where the chair indicates the proper
direction either with a directional pylon on the first one --which still
requires the course workers to follow each driver intensely ---or with
chalked lines on either side. From above it resembles saw teeth. Thus when
a driver misses the slalom a cloud of white powder is stirred up and
EVERYBODY knows something is wrong.

--John Kelly