Re: Bugs in SM

To: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Bugs in SM
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:16:55 -0700
In message <394E8B60.28D23719@ATTGLOBAL.NET>, Rich Urschel writes:
> Keith Hearn wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd rather have OSP be for cars that are still registered
> >   and let the non-streetable cars go into the prepared and modified
> >   classes.
>
> Jack's bug is still registered for the street. When your car is more
> than 25 years old you can maintain the registration by sending in
> money while doing anything you want to your car. The enforcement
> of street legal requirements is left to the police, not the DMV.

And just about any car can be made legal long enough for the smog check,
  then reverted to race condition. Then there's the question of "street
  legal in what state?" It's a can of worms, but the current rules make
  OSP another name for "Open Production".

> > There's currently no place that a daily driver that's more
> >  than street prepared can have a chance.
>
>     Street Touring and Street Modified are attempts to solve
> that very problem.

Not for two-seaters. Add forced induction to a Miata (not an uncommon
  thing), and you can either go into E-Mod and race against dedicated
  race cars, or OSP and race against dedicated race cars.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  Milpitas, CA