RE: Tech Inspection Rules

To: "'Rich Urschel '" <OSP13@attglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Tech Inspection Rules
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@Roche.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:56:29 -0700
That antigrav stuff would never fly (no pun... ahh forget it) in autox.
Just think about it.  If you want to improve acceleration, then from high
school physics F=ma. While the pigeons may reduce the weight of the car,
they unfortunately only add to the mass.  To make matters worse, all that
lift created by their wings would significantly reduce the F of friction at
the tire contact patches, resulting in reduced grip, traction, longer
braking distances etc which would more than make up for the reduction in
rolling resistance.

So while I wouldn't recommend this at divisionals, you might try duct-taping
a bunch of pigeons to your class leader's car at the next regional event.
If nothing else he/she would at least spend their runs (no pun intended
again) worrying about that paint job! :=)

Peter