Miata 1.6l VLSD Rebuild

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata 1.6l VLSD Rebuild
From: Chris Herring <yoonchris@batnet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:30:45 -0800
Hi all  << except Scot...cover your ears, Scot! :) >>

I recently purchased a factory VLSD for my CS Miata. There is a local shop
who can rebuild the diff using different discs, which will cause the diff
to lock up a little sooner/more. The parts are Mazda factory parts, and
apparently the diff will still be within factory spec. But neither me nor
the shop has any documentation to back up the claim that the diff is within
spec. So two questions:

1. Any thoughts about whether the rebuild is SCCA-legal?

2. Any thoughts about whether it's worth a couple of hundred dollars to do
this?

Regards,

Chris Herring