Re: Air compressor selection

To: "Yuri Klepach" <civicr1992@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air compressor selection
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:00:15 -0500
You're starting at the wrong end IMHO. Start by deciding what type of
spraygun you are planning on using, the older style HP gun or the newer
technology better LPHV gun and, if using a LPHV gun then you have t decide
if you want one that runs off a HP compressor or one that uses a designed
for it air turbine compressor. Once you've decided on the gun, then look at
the manufacturer's recommended volume and pressure specs. Take those as the
minimum needed to just operate the gun requiring stopping every couple
minutes to allow the compressor to catch up or cool down (not good unless
you are only doing touchups or graphics) and add 15-20% additional output at
the required pressure as the smallest compressor you should consider buying
if you plan on being able to spray an entire car non-stop. If you are not
planning on using the compressor to power air tools etc, then I'd recommend
you go for a LPHV gun and a dedicated turbine compressor. If you are going
to be looking for a general purpose shop compressor that can be used for
painting then you're going to need a pretty big one and a LPHV gun that can
convert high pressure input to the pressure and volume it needs or use the
old style HP gun that puts more paint in the air than on the car. A
conversion gun is also going to require a very good oil and moisture trap.
My personal opinion is for about the same money as a compressor needed for a
conversion gun buy a dedicated LPHV gun and compatable air turbine (they are
small portable and run on 115V) and a smaller HP compressor just big enough
for occasional air tools or shop use. The results will be far more
satisfactory in the long run. YMMV