Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:33:15 -0800
On Mar 21, 2005, at 8:37 AM, Jay Mitchell wrote:
>  If the present management of the program can't operate within a
>  reasonable budget (i.e., expected total revenue), then you have
>  to consider the possibility that they simply aren't doing their
>  job. That's how businesses are run, and this portion of the club
>  must be run as a business if it is to survive.

Yes but there are accounting tricks going on that in my opinion
understate the revenue generated by solo. For example the amount of the
SCCA membership fee allocated to each program is based *solely* on the
boxes you check on your membership renewal form. For example if you are
a soloist that also enjoys watching the occasional road race and you
check both boxes only 1/2 of the membership fee is allocated to the
Solo fund. Also in region after region their race programs only survive
because they "borrow" money from the income generated by Solo, I know
that has been the case here in the Northwest region in the past. Take
Solo out of the SCCA ala RallyAmerica and watch SCCA membership plummet
by over 50% and Regional revenues drop by even more.

On the ProSolo front the answer is more sets of timing equipment, a
Regional ProSolo feeder series and making regions responsible for
putting on National-level ProSolos. If we had Regional people and
equipment that could put on an event without so much involvement by the
National staff we could greatly reduce expenses and increase revenues
at the same time (not to mention being more attractive to potential
sponsors).

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         Yahoo IM: AlanBDahl
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl   ICQ: 52688023