Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Prepared proposal update

To: Evolution Discussion <evolution-discussions@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Prepared proposal update
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:43:11 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Chris Cox wrote:
> Than tell me what exactly the proposal is. I was told by Andy they are
> going off the August fast track proposal which was...
>
> 2 valve engines = .75 x displacement.
>
> Multi valve .78 x displacement ,Variable valve timing + .020 = .080 x
> 3200 = 2560. Max weight is 2500. My car is 2200 now so that is 300 extra
> lbs. Right?

That may have been the august FT proposal.  What he might have left out
was that the SEB didn't want the multi-valve or vvt penalties.

Per the Nov. Fastrack, what was put in front of the BOD the first time
was:

FP Piston - Normally Aspirated 0.75 x displacement cc
Rotary - Normally Aspirated 0.70 x listed displacement cc
Forced Induction +0.375 x displacement cc
Peripheral Port Rotary +0.050 x displacement cc
4WD +0.075 x displacement cc
FWD -0.100 x displacement cc
Class Minimum Weight: 1900 lbs
Class Maximum Weight: 2500 lbs

> Also, FP is not CP. All but one car at nationals in CP was a front
> engine, solid axle rear drive car. That is why there formula works There
> are front, mid, and rear engine cars in FP. How can you make the cars
> equal with a simple displacement multiplier? The laws of physics don't
> allow the cars to be equal even with equal displacements.
>
> I want to get beat by other competitors not poorly written rules.

Having other weight factors (mid engine was one) was discussed.  I can't
remember if they got to the proposed stage or not.

The goal of these formulas was not to get every car exactly equal.  The
goal is to get them as equal as assigning individual weights does, while
removing the ability to skew weights for individual cars.

I recall in other posts you've made to other forums that you said you'd be
fine with adding some weight to your car, but not 300 lbs.  The formula
does exactly that.  That said, if you have better ideas, speak up.  Saying
"this sucks" is somewhat interesting, but typically fairly un-helpful.

The other side of the coin is that I suspect plenty of folks would say
that having a 2.5 liter e36 be required to weigh the same as an otherwise
identical 3.2 liter e36 (as per the '04 rules) is a bit unfair.

Mark