Fiero upgrade

To: stu@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fiero upgrade
From: George Ryan <george.ryan@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 04:20:40 -0700 (PDT)
I have written the SEB multiple letters through the years about installing the
88 Fiero rear cradle/suspension in an 84-87 Fiero. Most of these letters have
contained full documentation,   photos, etc. I have asked consideration for
this as an upgrade/ backgrade simply because that modification  does nothing
more than put the rear suspension to the same geometry as a stock '88 Fiero - -
which is on the same line in the rules as the 84-87 in every class anyway!
The SEB seemingly does not consider the fact that this is for the rear
suspension, they think that all McPherson struts should be on the steer end of
the car (well, with the  trailing throttle oversteer on the early chassis Fiero
they may be right after all!). Anyway, to this point they have disallowed this
upgrade in Street Prepared - which affects SM2 as well.

In my eyes, putting an 88 cradle in the early chassis simply levels the playing
field between the model years - again, the 84-87 is on the same line in the
rulebook as the 88. But the SCCA rulemakers see that upgrade as putting the car
in the Prepared or Modified categories - a hole must be drilled in the strut
tower hat to allow clearance for the top of the strut (the '88 has the strut at
a different angle than the 84-87).

Anyway, I have given up writing letters. Thus, the question I have is this - - -

Why not cut the hat from the donor '88 strut tower and weld it onto the tower
of the early chassis as part of the upgrade? The single hole which previously
had to be drilled when doing this upgrade would not be required. The tower hat
would be be an original '88 hat - -correctly positioning the strut - - and no
additional holes would be required. No harm, no foul!

What do you guys and gals think?  (Pardon any cross posts)