RE: olympics

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: olympics
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:05:58 -0600
> Last year or the year before there was a brief blast of threads about
> Solo 2 becoming a demonstration sport in the olympics in the near
> future. Is this moving along or is it dead in the water?

Others have pointed out that it was an April Fools joke.

FYI:

No motorsports in the Olympics.

Each sport must be practiced in many countries (I don't remember the
specific number but it is large) and must have a high level of international
competition.  Formula 1 might meet that requirement but Solo II does not.
Generic autocross is even less likely since it does not have a sanctioning
body.

The rules are easier for a variation of an existing Olympic sport to be
added than for a totally new sport.

At this time there is a movement to reduce the number of people
participating in the Olympics.  There was an explosion in the sports in the
Olympics and variations over the last couple decades and the Olympic powers
have realized that the size is becoming unmanagable.

Inline speed skating is trying to get into the Olympics.  At this point it
is unclear if it can be considered a part of ice skating, especially since
they are from different seasons.
It is much more popular in Europe and South America than the US.  Only one
top level event in the international circuit is in the US (Duluth MN).
Inline skating has a much better chance than autocross and it is likely to
be several Olympic cycles before it gets in, if ever.