Re: First computers, was: team.net history

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First computers, was: team.net history
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:09:09 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 11:24 PM
Subject: First computers, was: team.net history

> A thread from another list.
> >>>
> Subject: First computers (GMSV)
> Last week we asked Good Morning Silicon Valley readers to tell us
> what their
> first computers were.
> The results are fascinating and, IMHO, make for great reading.
> Check it:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/7549
559.htm
> <<<
>

> What did YOU start on?
>

> Matt Murray
First computer ~1982
HP87 console unit with yellow/black screen about the size of an index card,
8" floppy drive. Add on Winchester hard drive, first one available, whoppin
5MB in a box the size of a large desktop computer today! Machine ran
proprietary CPU with HP modded basic programming. Had a plug in card ~ the
size of a cd box sticking out the back with an aux Z90 CPU so I could use
CPM operating system. Ran dBase II bookeeping system for my jewelry
business. Cost > $10K including an HP modified Epson 9 pin dot matrix
printer !!!!! We thought we were a fortune 500 company because we had a
computer. I hung onto that system in storage until just a few years ago. I
just had a hard time throwing away something that cost that much.
Chuck Frank