Re: [evolution-disc.] regulating boost limits in SP, let's

To: "Cheryl and Jim Fossum" <fossum@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] regulating boost limits in SP, let's
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:30:09 -0500
At 12:26 AM 12/12/2003 -0500, Cheryl and Jim Fossum wrote:
>Sam,
>14.10.C say (in part) "No changes are allowed to waste gates, pressure
>sensors or their location, and to other turbocharger or supercharger boost
>limiting system."  and also "...any modifications which alter or defeat the
>fuel cutoff when it is activated by boost level, are not permitted."  I
>can't find the reference, but I believe there is also a statement to the
>effect that unauthorized parts may not be used even if set to the stardard
>settings.
>
>Both of the above apply to the computer.  If the computer controls boost in
>any way, you're stuck with the stock computer.  If the the computer contols
>fuel cut, you're stuck with the stock computer.  In my mind this puts turbo
>cars at a disadvantage in SP, as it greatly limits the tuning flexibility.
>I do agree that policing of boost levels is very difficult.  It's very
>difficult to tell tell if somebody subtly altered the programing of the
>stock computer (or the resistance of the right wire, or discharge coeficient
>of the right orifice, or ...).

Good point, but there are cars running National level events with computers
that can alter the boost curve and pressures.  That poses a new
issue.  What is one to do?  After all, if we protest based on the
computer's ability to change boost, the protestee could answer:  Computers
are free, and I've not changed the mapping......

I've never thought about it as not being legal to use period, although I
believe technically you are correct. Whether the Protest committee or the
SEB would see it that way is another question.

This is why I felt this topic needed discussed.  Something needs to be
done.  I'm not saying my proposal is right, wrong or even close to
workable.  But ignoring the issue certainly won't get any of us anywhere.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
800-729-1831 orders/price info.