Re: 04 Nats and Runoffs dates

To: <BobTunnell@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 04 Nats and Runoffs dates
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:42:43 -0600
Actually, nothing is really a "week later." It only seems that way as a
result of a quirk of the calendar.

As 3-4 months do every year, it was September's turn to cycle around the
calendar. As do the Monday holidays.

Labor Day is the first Monday in September. In 2003 that was Sept. 1. In
2004 that is Sept. 6. (Sept. 1, with an added push by 2004 being a leap
year, will be on a Wednesday).

Nationals is the first full week after the Labor Day week. In 2003 that was
Sept. 8-12. In 2004 that will be Sept. 13-17.

Then it will creep forward a day on the calendar each year (two in leap
years) until 2008 when it will be Sept. 8-12 again, then in 2009 it will be
Sept. 14-18, etc. etc.

The real move SCCA *wanted* to do was push the 2004 Runoffs back a week (and
put a week between Nationals and Runoffs) since the USGP moved to June --
which would have been Sept. 27-Oct. 4 -- but various other conflicts and
commitments made that not possible. The Sept. 20-26 scheduling of the
Runoffs is the same week it has been the past couple of years -- second full
week after Labor day week.

--Rocky Entriken