Military Bases

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Military Bases
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:01:48 -0500
Hey, Gang!

I need your help.  I want to compile a list of active military bases -
as well as national guard bases - where AutoX and/or club racing events
are being held.  I'd also like to know about closed bases where events
were held when they were active.  We may FINALLY have our foot in the
door at Barksdale AFB and we want to be able to go in armed for bear.

We ran a small demonstration event on the base today as part of the 2nd
Bomb Wing's Safety Day.  The Wing's Safety Group invited us!  Turnout
was great.  The Wing Commander stopped by and he was impressed.  He even
took a slow lap around the course in his staff car with lights flashing
and siren blaring.  He told me afterwards we should run a regular event
there!  I told him we've been trying to get permission to do that for
the past fifteen years but we've been shot down every time we've tried.
  He left me with the impression that he WANTS us to do it and the
Safety Group Commander got the same impression.  So the Safety Group
Commander, his staff, and I already have our wheels turning.  Any help
YOU can provide would be greatly appreciated.

For those who don't know, Barksdale is in Bossier City, LA - right
across the river from Shreveport.  It's HUGE!  Home to the Eight Air
Force, the 2nd Bomb Wing, and the 917th (Reserve) Wing.  It's got acres
and acres of beautiful Mil-spec concrete.  It houses 2/3 of America's
B-52 bomber fleet.  The rest are at Minot AFB in North Dakota.  It's
also the place from which President Bush addressed the nation on 9/11.

Those of you who were at Nationals on that fateful day in 2001 may
remember seeing the horseshoe-shaped contrail in the sky above Forbes
Field.  That was Air Force One making a U-turn and heading for Barksdale.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman