2nd Gen RX-7 Electrical Issues

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 2nd Gen RX-7 Electrical Issues
From: dfauth@frii.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:10:15 -0600
I thought I'd throw this problem out to the many gurus we have on the list
before dropping it off at a shop and hoping for the best.  Any
help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have an 1986 RX-7, base w/Sport package.  The car has a few issues with oil
leaking, but this is not the main problem (or at least I don't *think* they're
related).

The car will start and run just fine, but after warming up, a strange
electrical problem shows up.  When I press the brakes (or hit the turn
signals, or use the interior light...just about anything that uses electrical
power), the voltage (according to the instrument cluster voltometer as well as
the dimming of the lights) drops for a split second from ~13-14V down to
around 8V.  This behavior is regardless of engine RPM.  After a little bit
more, the engine dies and ALL electrical power for the car is GONE.  Zip.
Zilch.  At this point, the battery shows zero voltage.

I have replaced my ground-to-battery cable.  I have replaced my battery-to-
mainfuse cable.  I have had the battery check done by Checker and it was
fine.  Once the car cools down, the power is back and the car will start as if
nothing had happened.

Anyone have any bright ideas as to what could be causing this sort of funky
behavior?  I've had one person suggest that it could be the coil that is
causing the problems once it gets heated up (they thought they had seen this
before), but it seems so weird that something could be causing the loss of ALL
power yet NOT be significantly draining the battery.

Thoughts (other than 'sell the car' <g>) ???

Please reply to me directly as I am on the digest...

Thanks,
David Fauth
dfauth "at" frii.com
DSP